Every person has different ways of coping to emotional difficulties. Others do it the healthy way such as meeting up or chatting with family or friends, playing sports or video games, channeling it through hobbies like pottery, painting, etc., or doing other recreational activities such as watching movies or TV shows. While others, on the other hand, do it the harmful way like, drinking heavily, doing drugs or gambling to the point of losing all of their possessions.
Now let us focus on gambling addictively as a way of avoiding emotional problems. Others may not realize that being addicted to gambling is a very lonely sickness. A lot of people gamble to escape loneliness or emotional troubles. A person doing that may think that it could get him or her away from the loneliness he or she feels. But what that person does not realize is it is only for a very brief moment and that the end result of it is feeling lonelier than ever.
Most escape gamblers are women and usually start when they hit the age of 30 or older. Escape gamblers are typically mutually dependent and prefer games compelling little or no skill such as bingo, slots or the lottery. The escape gamblers when playing such games that require little or no skill would appear deaden or in a daze when busy in gambling. When they play those types of gambling, they feel freedom from the emotional and physical pain that they are going through. Escape gamblers are conflict avoiders and at one point in their lives or often have suffered verbal and physical abuse, that’s why they prefer games that have little thinking to do.
No matter how deeply pitted a person may think, there is hope in breaking off from gambling addiction. There are many treatment programs that involve individual professional counseling and group therapy that can help a gambling addict overcome the addiction.
But just to give you some tips to keep away from loneliness instead of turning to gambling:
1) Before getting yourself into gambling, why not check it first with Gamblers Anonymous via online or you may call the National Gambling Helpline. You might have a change of mind once you have spoken to one of their counselors.
2) Eating right and taking care of your physical body will definitely help you feel better emotionally. Notice when you are dehydrated, you feel either easily irritated or down? So keep your body in good shape and hydrated.
3) Have you lost contact with your family and friends recently? Try and start to call the people you had a falling-out and or avoided while gambling but please do it slowly.
4) Meet up new friends. There are now a lot of popular networking sites that you can be a member of and are good ways of meeting new people from all over the globe.
5) Always remember you are not alone. Others have suffered from loneliness and resorted to gambling as they’re way of escape, so it is not only you who have experienced that but there are million others as well.
In addition, there are also Pkv games and poker online games that you can find online. Make sure to stay away from these activities. Instead, try to look for other activities or hobbies where you can spend your time one.
Remember, there is always hope for a gambling addict. One only just has to believe and take that step toward change.